Women's Advisory Council
About the Burlington County Women's Advisory Council
Women in Burlington County now have a re-energized platform and additional advocates on issues affecting them in their communities thanks to the efforts of Freeholder Director Kate Gibbs and Deputy Director Linda Hughes. Gibbs and Hughes have taken important steps to modernize and reinvigorate the Burlington County Women’s Advisory Council.
Freeholders Gibbs and Hughes will work with the Council on evaluating existing services and programs, educating the public about the challenges women face daily, raising awareness of the special contributions women make in our communities and providing opportunities for mentoring and collaboration that will enhance the quality of life for all women in Burlington County. To that end, Gibbs and Hughes will work with the Council to launch new women-focused-initiatives such as conducting a county-wide women’s survey, leveraging social media to create an online resource center with centralized information about services and programs for women, and launching a mentoring event series, with the goal of bringing more than 50 established professional women together with women either starting or re-starting their careers.
Reinvigorating the Burlington County Women’s Advisory Council joins recent initiatives aimed at promoting gender equality in the workplace, including: an equal pay resolution, mandatory sexual harassment training and retraining for all county employees, and placing private, dedicated mother’s rooms in county buildings.
The council is made up of 20 members including a student from Rowan College at Burlington County. Members serve 1-year terms.
- Caitlin Latko, Secretary
- Carla Reinas, Chair
- Christina Renna, Vice Chair
- Dianne Mills McKay
- Dolores M. Szymanski Ed D
- Hana Katz
- Heather Morse
- Jamie Gangone
- Jayme Bundy
- JoAnne Harmon
- June DePonte Sernak
- Kate McLaughlin
- Kathy Goldenberg
- Kristin Bucci
- Mariel Giletto, Esq.
- Patricia Lindsay-Harvey
- Shirla Simpson
- Theresa Dozier-Daniel
- Theresa Margiotta
- Zahirah Sabir, Treasurer
Activities sponsored by the council include:
- New mentoring event series, with the goal of bringing more than 50 established professional women together with women either starting or re-starting their careers.
- New online resource center with centralized information about services and programs for women. Follow us on Facebook @BurlingtonCountyWomen and on Twitter @BurlCoWomen
- New county-wide women's survey. Take the survey here: www.surveymonkey.com/r/BurlCoWomenSurvey
- Community Partnership Committee formed to donate time, items, or money to local groups who do not have traditional resources.
- Lecture Series in coordination with Virtua Hospital with topics such as Menopause, Fitness, Stress Reduction, and Preventing Sexual Assault.
- Annual Outstanding Women of Burlington County Awards, a program to enable county women to receive recognition for outstanding achievements.