Posted on December 29, 2015 at 8:58 AM by Victoria Mulherin
Today is National Tick Tock Day!
There are only two days left until the end of the year! Have you achieved everything you set out to do? Upheld your New Year’s resolutions and made a difference? Tick Tock Day puts the pressure on you to cram in some last-minute work before the end of the year to achieve your goals!
The New Year is a time to think about what you really want out of life and then go out and get accomplish it. Some people will give up on their resolutions by January 17 while others will commit to their resolutions and will make 2016 their best year ever.
Below are a few tips to stay motivated in 2016 (in case you missed your 2015 resolution)!
- Set short-term goals: Most of the time when people fail to follow through on their New Year’s resolutions it is because they are paralyzed by looking at the big picture. If you fall short of that mark, don’t just abandon the resolution, set another short-term goal that will be attainable in another 2 week period of time.
- Don’t set yourself up for failure: If you know you are not the type of person who likes to go to the gym and workout, then do not be one of the hundreds of thousands of people who rush out this year to get a gym membership that will rarely if ever get used. Instead, consider one of the alternatives that are out there.
- Gain momentum early: The earlier you are able to gain momentum the better, because getting those few small yet important steps checked off the list early will give a positive feeling that the overall goal is attainable.
- Reward yourself: Working towards accomplishing goals can be very challenging and the dedication it takes to stick with a New Year’s resolution deserves to be rewarded. It is important when setting those short-term goals to include a reward for hitting each milestone. This self-giving positive reinforcement will help give incentives for breaking through each barrier.
- Surround yourself with like-minded people: Surrounding yourself with others who have the same goals you do is a key step to making 2016 your best year ever. There are groups both online and offline that are made up of people who have the same or similar goals and help each other accomplish them, so take a look around and consider joining one for people who have the same goals you do.