Posted on May 5, 2015 at 12:29 PM by Andrew Hull
May is National Bike Month, and with warm weather looking like it’s finally here to stay, it’s important for motorists to be aware of kids on bicycles.
To help keep kids safe while they ride, the Sheriff’s Department Community Services Unit participates in community events and offers safety equipment such as:
- Helmets to help prevent head injuries in the event of a rider falling off their bike. In fact, helmets reduce the risk of head and brain injuries by 85%.
- Flashing safety lights to clip onto clothing or bikes in the event of low-visibility conditions (fog, darkness, etc.)
- Reflectors to attach to clothing or bikes and help make the rider more visible at night
The Sheriff’s Department also recommends taking the following steps to ensure safety while riding bicycles:
Make sure the bike is maintained and that it fits properly.
- Don’t wear headphones or ear buds while riding
- Wear bright clothing, and avoid loose clothes that could get caught on the bike or in the chain