Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
Freeholder Mary Ann O’Brien announced today that the Burlington County Freeholders have agreed to preserve ten additional farms, a move that will add nearly 752 acres to the County’s Farmland Preservation Program.
“Burlington County continues to demonstrate our commitment to open space and farmland preservation, solidifying our status as a state and national leader in this area,” said Freeholder O’Brien.
Officially, the Freeholder Board has authorized staff to make offers to the owners of the ten farms. The offers will be based on upcoming appraisals of the properties and the values must be certified by the State.
Nine of the approved farms, totaling 700 acres, lie within the five mile military buffer zone of Joint Base MDL and are therefore eligible for 50% funding from the US Department of Defense pursuant to a 2012 Cooperative Agreement.
“We are proud to work with the US Department of Defense to protect the land surrounding Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst,” said O’Brien. “By choosing to preserve these farms, the County can ensure that the land is being used in a way that best supports the mission of Joint Base MDL. This is always an important consideration during BRAC proceedings.”
The County portion of these purchases will be funded through the dedicated farmland and open space fund, approved by voters. The same fund is utilized for open space acquisition, County park maintenance, and municipal recreation grants.
The farms, listed by owner, location, acreage, and current production/use are as follows:
• Fenimore, Pemberton Township, 74 acres, Grain
• Alloway North, Southampton Township, 118 acres, Grain/Sod
• Alloway South, Southampton Township, 46 acres, Grain/Sod
• Harold & Gail Kirby, Pemberton Township, 56 acres, Grain
• Eleanor Kirby, Pemberton Township, 50 acres, Grain
• Linda Hatt, Chesterfield Township, 69 acres, Equine/Hay
• M&N Farms, Chesterfield Township, 38 acres, Hay
• Lanwin Development Corp, Chesterfield Township, 132 acres, Grain
• Thompson South, LLC, Chesterfield Township, 136 acres, Grain
• Patel, LLC, Springfield Township, 33 acres, Grain
Additional information regarding the County’s Farmland Preservation Program can be found online at www.co.burlington.nj.us/196/Farmland-Preservation.