In 1674, John Skene, a Quaker from Scotland, bought 300 acres of land in the second tenth of the Province of West Jersey and named the property "Peachfield."
Henry Burr purchased the property from Skene's widow in 1695. He and his wife built the east portion of the house, made with South Jersey bog ironstone, on the present site in 1725. Their son, John Burr and his wife, Kaziah, built the west part of the house in 1732.
The date stones can be seen on the front of the house. The property remained in the Burr family for 200 years.
Following a devastating fire in 1928, Mr. and Mrs. Norman Harker purchased the house and engaged the architect R. B. Okie to restore the residence to a lovely country home.
Upon her death in 1965, Mrs. Harker bequeathed the property to The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in the State of New Jersey to be used as its State Headquarters.
180 Burrs Road
Mount Holly, NJ 08060
Telephone: (609) 267-6996
Open: By appointment.
From the New Jersey Turnpike, take Exit 5 on to Route 541 toward Mount Holly. Turn right onto Burrs Road (jug handle) crossing Route 541 straight to Peachfield Plantation; approximately two miles from Exit 5.
For further information, go to: http://colonialdamesnj.com/