Starting a Business
Starting a business in Burlington County is easy.
The Burlington County Clerk’s Office is ready to assist businesses register a trade name for a sole proprietorship, and access public records.
The Burlington County Clerk’s Office offers the following services for starting a business:
- Accessing Public Records
- Amending or Dissolving a Trade/Firm Name
- Business Trade Name Registration
- Notary Public Commissions
The Burlington County Health Department can help you to start a Retail Food Establishment, Food Cart or other temporary food service facility.
- Retail Food Establishment
- Operating Requirements
- Forms & Information
- Mobile - Temporary Retail Food Service Facilities Information
- Website Resources
- Food Safety Training Resources
As part of their Business Gateway, the Burlington County Library provides a guide to community, government, and library resources for starting a business. The library provides access to:
- Online research tools for writing a business plan and mapping a market, including Business Plans Handbook, Small Business Reference Center, Demographics Now, ReferenceUSA
- Lynda.com online training videos including web design, marketing, social media, communication, management, and hiring employees
- -Hundreds of business books, eBooks, and audiobooks available to be checked out
- -Individual custom business research appointments with Business Librarian Joan Divor, to become familiar with library resources and to begin your research. Find out how to use the library’s lead generation tools
New Jersey has a site on the State website that is the perfect place for someone who wishes to start a business in NJ. This website will take a potential business owner through all the steps necessary to register a business, and it will explain tax information and employer responsibilities.
If you’re starting a business in New Jersey, this is a good place to start. You can find information you’ll need to select the proper business type for your circumstances, register your corporation or LLC and register your new business for tax purposes.
Registering and Responsibilities
- Naming Your Business
- Registering a New Business
- Registering a Trade / Service Mark
- Business Taxes and other Tax Resources
- Employer Responsibilities
- Withholding Gross Income Tax
- Unemployment and Disability Insurance
- Workers’ Compensation
Business Basics & Types
- Business Basics
- Starting a Business Checklist
- What Business Type Should I Choose?
- How Do I Start a Non-Profit
- Establish a Captive Insurance Company
- Small Business Advocacy
- Financial Resources
- Licensing and Professional Certifications
- Navigating Regulatory Processes
- Labor and Workforce Issues
- Business Helpline 1-800-Jersey-7
The New Jersey Small Business Development Center helps individuals and early stage start-ups launch, develop, and plan for growth and expansion.
- Writing a business plan
- Learning About Accounting
- Record Keeping
- Small Business Taxes
The U.S. Small Business Administration has delivered millions of loans, loan guarantees, contracts, counseling sessions and other forms of assistance to small businesses.
SBA provides assistance primarily through its four programmatic functions:
- Access to Capital (Business Financing)
- Entrepreneurial Development (Education, Information, Technical Assistance & Training)
- Government Contracting (Federal Procurement)
- Advocacy (Voice for Small Business)
The Burlington County Regional Chamber of Commerce is comprised of businesses, non-profit organizations and government entities who work together to improve the economic viability of Burlington County and the business potential of their members.
- Promoting economic programs designed to strengthen and expand the potential of all businesses
- Educating members on opportunities, skills and services to enhance their business
- Informing members of legislative action affecting the business community
- Supporting programs of a civic, cultural and social nature, designed to increase the functional and aesthetic values of our community.
- Discovering opportunities to promote business expansion and community growth