Originally the warden’s living quarters were within the prison walls, but by the late 1800s the prison population had grown to a point where it was necessary to provide separate housing for the warden and his family.
The warden’s house was completed in 1888.
The warden had immediate access to the prison via a walkway (or bridge) between the two buildings on the second floor. The walkway can be seen during a Prison Museum tour.
Restoration of the Warden’s House was completed in 2011 and is now the permanent home of the Hugh Campbell Collection.